Essay about The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormality
1148 Words5 Pages
The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormality
The psychodynamic model of abnormality is useful to an extent. However it has many weaknesses.
The psychodynamic model of abnormality was initiated by Sigmund Freud. Sigmund Freud was very interested in hysteria. This is the manifestation of physical causes. He became convinced that unconscious mental causes were responsible not just abnormality but also normality. Freud developed Psychoanalysis. This is a set of techniques for treating the unconscious causes of mental disorders and built up a psychoanalytic theory of how human personality and abnormality develop from childhood. His…show more content…
Freud (1923) divided the psyche into three parts. The first being the Id (unconscious mind). This is the largest part and is innate. It is the source our desires. It is selfish and operates on the pleasure principle and only wants the gratification it desires. The second is the Ego (Conscious mind). This is fully formed from around two years of age and develops from the Id. The Ego works on the reality principle and is concerned with keeping our thoughts and actions in step with the real world. The third is the Superego and contains moral values.
Psychoanalysis had a very fixed set of assumptions that later psychodynamic theorists agreed with to different extents. One of the assumptions was the unconscious processes, where many important influences on behaviour come from the unconscious part of the mind, which we have no awareness of. Another assumption is psychodynamic conflict. This is where the different parts of the mind are in a constant struggle with each other and the consequences of the struggle are important in understanding behaviour. Freud also believed that that behaviour is motivated by emotional drives. Particularly sexual and aggressive drives. These drives create psychic energy that builds up if it cannot be released. Development is another of the assumptions, where personality is shaped by relationships,
+ All Psychodynamic Approach Essays:
- The Value and Challenges of a Portfolio Approach to Manage an IT Project
- Steven Nolt's Approach to the Immigrant Story in the Early Republic
- Applying and Orginizational Behavior Approach to The Great Post-It Massacre
- A Stakeholder Approach to Strategic Management
- introduction to psychology
- Organisations Are Increasingly Taking a More Strategic Approach to the Management of Their Human Resources
- 1960's an Interdisciplinary Approach
- Systems Approach in Project Management
- 4.4 Elective Hrm 6: Industrial Relations & Collective Bargaining 1. Industrial Relations: Historical Background, Concept and Approaches in Ir – Stake Holders of Ir, Various Factors Influencing Ir, Hr Approach to Ir,
- How Would You Use Kotter'S See-Feel-Change Approach To Communicate The Need And Urgency Of The Needed Change?
- Outline the Principle Advantages and Disadvantages of an Approach to Ethics Based Around Virtue
- The approach the Zimbabwean courts take towards the question of damages in breach of contract cases.
- Cosmetics’ Green Marketing as the Best Marketing Approach in 20th Century
- Major Approaches to Clinical Psychology
- Categorical Approach to Diagnosis
- New Pedagogic Approach: Concepts, Advantages and Implementation
- Marxist Approach to Media
- Define the four main approaches to staffing within International Human Resource Management.What are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach to international management.
- The Approach to the Care of Cancer
- Multicultural Approach
- Dr. Faustus Essay: A Historicism Approach to Doctor Faustus
- Family Counseling Approach - Narrative Therapy
- Early Childhood Education: A Wise Investment Approach for a Better Future
- The Direct Instruction Approach
- A Communicative Approach to Language Teaching
- An Integrated Approach to Business Studies by Bruce R. Jewell
- Capital Structure Approach
- The Family Crucible: a Systemic Approach
- Amartya Sen's Capability Approach and Its Application in the Hdrs
- “It Has Been Argued That a Strategic Approach to Human Resource Planning Is Required as a Foundation to Ensure the Alignment Between an Organisation’s Competitive Advantages? Hr Strategies. Using Examples, Definitions
- Data Mining and the Rough Set Approach
- Balance Approach to Teaching Reading
- A Different Look at the Approach of Being President
- The Pharmaceutical Industry's Connected Line Flow Approach: Drug Production for a Mass Audience
- Alice in Wonderland, A Different Approach to Organizational Change
- Compare and Contrast the Information Processing Approach, the Parallel Distributed Processing Model, the Levels of Processing Model, and the Traditional Three-Stage Memory Model.
- An Analytical Approach to Truth and Religion
- General Electric (Ge) Analysis Using Porter's Approach
- A Systematic Approach of Strategies to Control and Monitor Ohs Risks
- Psychoanalitic Approach to The Minister’s Black Veil
- Educational Approach: Collaborative Group Work
- Critically Compare and Contrast the ‘Best Fit’, Best Practice and Rbv Models of Hrm Strategy – Explain How Each Approach Is Argued to Contribute to Improve Organizational Performance
- The Strengths and Limitations of the Behaviourist Approach in Explaining Behaviour
- Discuss Las Vegas in Relation to Hyperreality. Demonstrate This Through Specific Examples and at Least One Theoretical Approach. Include Relevant Illustrations to Support Argument.
- Assess the Strengths and Weaknesses of the Functionalist Approach to Society
- The Feminist Approach to Antigone and A Dolls House
- Comparing Christina Rosetti's Approach to the Subject of Death in After Death, Remember, Song and Dream
- The Three Phases Approach
- Is the Classical Approach to Management Obsolete?
- Pragmatist approach to truth
- CONTEMPORARY APPROACH
- Formal Approach to Thomas Gray's Elegy (Eulogy) Written in a Country Churchyard
- An Integrated Approach to Strategy Innovation.
- The Approach of Nonviolence
- A Social Ecological Approach to Rising Levels of Overweight and Obesity in Children and Adolescents in the United States
- The Inquiry Approach to Learning
- Fashion - a Design Centred Approach V Market Centred Approach
- What Are The Principles Behind The Micro Strategy Approach To Proof Of Concept Wk8
- A Social Psychological Approach to Reducing Prejudice in the Classroom
- The Best Recruiting Strategy Is the "We Find You" Approach
- A New Approach to Art
- A Writer's Approach to Death
- An Approach of Designing an Exoskeleton Arm
- Unit 8 p1 m1 -Physiological Perspectives
- Markets Driven vs Driving Markets Approach
- Teaching Language Through 4f Approach